[Tweeters] Nisqually NWR 11/20/14

scrubjay323 at aol.com scrubjay323 at aol.com
Wed Nov 20 19:26:58 PST 2013

Tweets,

Today 35 of us enjoyed a cold, breezy walk at Nisqually. At least the sun was out! It has been a long time since I've had to scrape frost off the windshield!

At least the birds cooperated even if they were spread out. We had a 7.2 low tide at 1:43 so there was lots of water on the refuge. Couple that with a north wind and both McAllister Creek and the Nisqually River were pretty full. there were white caps on McAllister Creek!

Highlights included NORTHERN SHRIKE, PEREGRINE FALCON, EURASIAN WIGEON, and SEMI-PALMATED PLOVER.

There were lots of waterfowl and raptors about today. Waterfowl included COMMON GOLDENEYE on McAllister Creek and BARROW'S GOLDENEYE on the Nisqually River. There were scads of PINTAIL, AMERICAN WIGEON, and GREEN-WINGED TEAL throughout the refuge with a couple of EURASIAN WIGEON out in the restoration area.

A NORTHERN SHRIKE was in the area behind the twin barns and foraged near the new dike giving great views. NORTHEN HARRIERS, RED-TAILED HAWKS, and BALD EAGLES seemed to be everywhere. We had a couple of views of PEREGRINE FALCON, perhaps the same bird, perhaps not.

Whittier and Shep spotted the SEMI-PALMATED PLOVER and a WILSON'S SNIPE out on the mud flat south of the twin barns that some of the folks got to see, but they were behind me so I missed it.

For the day I saw 53 species and Shep added a few more walking the estuary boardwalk that I missed.

Mammals seen were BLACK-TAILED DEER and HARBOR SEAL.

Until next week.....

Phil Kelley
scrubjay323 at aol.com
Lacey, WA