[Tweeters] My Rare Yard Bird

jeff gibson gibsondesign at msn.com
Tue Nov 19 09:20:28 PST 2013

Yesterday I saw a rare yard bird. Although my yard is rare (only one exists), the bird is not.

That bird would be the Pacific Wren. (I'm still in name withdrawal from the former Winter Wren). My rare yard is in sort of a "nice", brush-less neighborhood in North Everett. Not great Pacific Wren habitat. The bird yesterday is the first I've seen here in just about exactly 10 years.

It was sort of an "deja vu all over again" experience to hear the little wren calling in my yard - a familiar call out of context. The wren was perched on my pile of collected rocks out back - calling, doing a deep heel bend, then calling again.

This was also noted by Betty. Betty is a 12 pound black cat that has been scamming food from us for about a year - I think she's three-timing it for hand-outs in the neighborhood. Not exactly feral cat - a real urban survivor. Our enabling of this four-legged environmental disaster was my wife's idea.( Really!). Does eat rats though- so does that help the balance?

My view on that, is that if you wanna play in the food chain, you getta be on the food chain. For any Coyotes reading this, Betty is available on the 1200 block of Colby, west side. Check the alley. And don't tell my wife.

Jeff Gibson

Everett Wa