[Tweeters] Pacific wren companion

Rob Sandelin nwnature1 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 17 22:24:31 PST 2013

I was out early (for a Sunday) stacking firewood. I was in my own little
world when a Pacific Wren joined me. It hopped about the tumble of wood, and
was my companion the entire time I was outside. As I would turn and walk a
few steps to grab a couple of chunks of split wood it would dart into the
newly formed woodpile, or scramble amid the logs. Clearly it was using my
moving wood around as a foraging activity and it stayed relatively close by,
chirping softly to itself. I tried to keep an eye on it to see if it was
actually finding things to eat, but the scatter of wood and the stacking
required my attention. The company of the bird turned an onerous chore into
a pleasant morning activity, and I found myself smiling at the antics of the
bird. I was disappointed when the wood was stacked, the first time I have
ever enjoyed that job.

Rob Sandelin
Naturalist, Writer, Teacher
Snohomish County