[Tweeters] RFI: Slaty-backed and Steller's Jay

Chris Rurik chrisrurik at gmail.com
Fri Nov 15 13:40:27 PST 2013

Hi Tweeters, two questions:

1. I have tried maybe eight times now over the last two years for the
Slaty-backed Gull at Gog-Le-Hi-Te without success. Does anyone have tips
for finding it? Is it a complete crap shoot, or are there better times to
try?

2. Had a Stellar's Jay at my parents' feeder today and noticed the white
markings on the head typical of the interior west subspecies. Not as strong
as I am used to seeing in Colorado, but definitely there. The field guides
make it look like Washington STJA's should have no white above the eye at
all. Is there variation in this field mark?

Thanks,
Chris Rurik
Denver CO
(Originally Gig Harbor)