[Tweeters] Yellow-shafted Flicker

Paul Bannick paul.bannick at gmail.com
Fri Nov 15 09:41:20 PST 2013

Hi Jo,

While we normally have intergrades between the yellow and red shafted
birds, we have many more in the winter. The dividing line for Red-shafted
and Yellow-shafted birds runs Northwest from roughly the gulf of Mexico to
the Northwest of the continent.

The flickers from most parts of Alaska and Canada move south to the states
in the winter and some of those will be Yellow-shafted from North of the
race dividing line as well as intergrades. I have not heard that
intergrades are increasing but perhaps you are getting lucky with some new
visitors. Beautiful birds. I am adding a link to a photo of an intergrade
that visited me last year
http://paulbannick.photoshelter.com/image?&_bqG=55&_bqH=eJzLzco29c11cstKyowqc3I0jc93dCsJcCssNQu1MjS1tDIytTI0AAIrz3iXYGfbtJzM5OzUIjXP.NBg16B4TxfbUJBsha.hZ65fumNKlKdavKNziG1xamJRcgYASQYcyQ--&GI_ID=

Regards,

Paul

On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 9:17 AM, Jo Hofmann <jo.hofmann at comcast.net> wrote:

> We have also seen a number of YS flickers and YS-RS intergrades this past

> year, especially during the winter. We have had suet up for several years

> and this is the first time I remember seeing so many YSs - I wonder if it's

> a fluke or a trend of more east coast invaders.

> Jo Hofmann

> Upper Rainier

> Beach

> Tweeters mailing list