[Tweeters] Scoter'd in Seattle

jeff gibson gibsondesign at msn.com
Fri Nov 15 07:36:33 PST 2013

I wrote a little while ago about the "Surf Scoter Salute"- that interesting "wings up" thing they do when they land. Dennis Paulson was kind enough to point out that this is part of the male mating ritual, which I thought was funny- I've been saluting (mentally anyway) horny Scoters for decades without knowing it.

As usual that got me thinking. "Now what makes their "wings up" move look so familiar?" I wondered. Always looking for an analogy you know. Then I remembered ," It's the touchdown signal, in football!", which may be why I thought it was funny as a young birdwatcher, seeing the Scoter's using the touchdown signal when they touched down.

Well, whatever. But I did get an idea for local football. Not much of a sports fan (played sports a lot as a kid but quit when "adults" started interfering. Us kid's used to do great on our own - one "adult" can suck all the fun out of a pick-up game. I'm not disparaging actually helpful coaches).

Anyway, I was thinking, after looking up NFL referee signals online, that the black and white outfits those guys wear were Scoter colors mostly. "Hey" I thought, " Seattle's got them Seahawks, how about we get our own ref outfits. I think, by just changing the cap - black, with a white patch on back, and adding a big honkin orange, white, black bill , we could then have the 'Seattle Scoters". Now doesn't that fit nicely into the whole "sea" theme- like seahawks and sea ducks?. I sure think so. The over-honkin' bill might protect the ref's somewhat from pissed off coaches, and giant seahawks.

Imagine a big play at Seahawk stadium. The Seahawks are playing the Ravens, with just a minute left. Seahawks got the ball at the ten yard line, and make the play.

'THIS IS IT FOLKS, SEAHAWKS THROW THE BALL, IT'S A TOUCHDOWN ! --- BUT, WAIT, THE SCOTER IS WINGING THIS AS INCOMPLETE! TIMES OUT, THE RAVENS WIN. OH NO - THE SEAHAWKS JUST GOT SCOTER'D!!!!! SCOTER'D IN SEATTLE!

Jeff Gibson

Scoter fan

Everett Wa