[Tweeters] Interesting conversation with a Game Warden

Kelly McAllister mcallisters4 at comcast.net
Thu Nov 14 18:39:54 PST 2013

I don’t disagree with anything in this thread. I just want to mention the apparently flexibility in how lands bought with Duck Stamp funds are managed. The Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge has had long-standing management that views the nearby urban communities as their primary constituency. They have not had a strong interest in hunting though they have opened a small portion of the refuge to hunting. Their main interest is in providing opportunities for people to come out and enjoy seeing wildlife. They have daily fees, and annual fees, and senior passes, etc. I believe if you have a current duck stamp, you can visit without additional charges. In any case, I think it shows that the managers of these public lands have some flexibility to decide what their priorities should be. I don’t think the “non-consumptive” user takes a back seat on all lands managed by state and federal fish and wildlife agencies and I expect, in the future, there will be many public lands where those who appreciate wildlife without a rod or gun are favored in many aspects of access and accommodations. That’s just the way things are headed, tax or no tax.

Kelly McAllister

Olympia, Washington