[Tweeters] Interesting conversation with a Game Warden

Tom Talbott tom.talbott at gmail.com
Thu Nov 14 13:33:47 PST 2013

"I know many birders have somewhat negative opinions of hunters, but if it
weren't for them, we'd have a lot fewer places to go. "

I think that part of the problem is that the main way to support habitat is
to support hunting. Virtually all preservation exists to make sure there
will be enough birds to shoot in the future.

Hopefully, this will change as more people learn that you can be in nature
without killing things. If there were actual passes and stamps targeting
birding and targeting habitat specifically for birds just because they are
birds, I believe you would have more people contributing. When the state
sees birders and photographers as an asset and isn't predominately geared
towards hunting, then they will see more uptake in terms of revenue from
them. It will be a balance, but for now the scale seems rather tipped.

I think the Discover Pass is actually the first step in this direction. I
know people that don't like it, but I find it to be much better than the
old system.

Tom (renewed Discover Pass just came in the mail)