[Tweeters] Camera question

Teresa Michelsen teresa at avocetconsulting.com
Thu Nov 14 00:46:51 PST 2013

Hi all,

I have always been a bins-only birder – too much equipment and I get bogged down, and I’ve never been much of a photographer. But with the new database that now I can put photos into, I find myself wanting to at least try so that I can be reminded of what the birds looked like from 10 years ago halfway across the world. I’m having a dilemma – there’s no way I’m going to be able to deal with complicated lenses, etc. Yet, too poor or simple of a camera will likely make it difficult to get good bird photos. Too far in either direction will defeat the whole idea. Plus I’m a total beginner with cameras.

In Panama recently, we had a traveling companion who had a Leica V-LUX 4. We were all impressed with the compact size, simplicity of use, and quality of photos it produced, of even the smallest of birds, butterflies, etc. Of course, it costs around $900. I worry that it might be more complicated than it looks, having been in the hands of an expert photographer, and that that’s way too much money to spend for a new hobby that I might possibly not stick with if it turns out I’m terrible at it :D

So my question is, does anyone have a recommendation for something similarly compact that would be a good starter camera, for someone whose main interest is photographing birds. My sense is that this camera he had was pretty novel, and that there wasn’t much similar to it, or that ones this small of this quality were all new and expensive.

What I really need is binoculars that can magically take a photo of whatever I’m looking at with the push of a button :D I’m sure it won’t be that long before such things exist!

Feel free to write to me privately if you have any ideas. I don’t do that much scoping or have a smart phone, so that combo option is out. I’m really looking for something reasonably small that I can carry around with my binoculars and use in other settings as well. Tall order, I know. You can also let me know if I’m dreaming :)

Teresa Michelsen

Olympia, WA