[Tweeters] Eastside trip to Whidbey - 13 Nov

B&PBell bellasoc at isomedia.com
Wed Nov 13 17:19:17 PST 2013

Hi Tweets

Eastside Audubon took a trip to Whidbey Island today. The day started out overcast in Kirkland where we started the trip. At the Park & Ride we heard GOLDEN-CROWNED KINGLET and PACIFIC WREN and saw AMERICAN CROW, NORTHERN FLICKER and RED-TAILED HAWK.

At the Mukilteo Ferry terminal we saw GLAUCOUS-WINGED GULL, PIGEON GUILLEMOT, BARROW'S GOLDENEYE, DOUBLE-CRESTED and PELAGIC CORMORANT. After the ferry left the terminal we saw BONAPARTE'S and CALIFORNIA GULL and RHINOCEROS AUKLET. We had about 5 minutes of mist and then no rain for the rest of the day. Over on the Clinton side there were BONAPARTE'S GULLs, GLAUCOUS-WINGED GULLs, SURF SCOTERs, PIGEON GUILLEMOTs, lots of BARROW'S GOLDENEYEs, HORNED GREBE and RED-NECKED GREBE.

At Rollinghills Dr. we saw GOLDEN-CROWNED, SONG and FOX SPARROW, CHESTNUT-BACKED CHICKADEE, BEWICK'S and PACIFIC WREN, HOUSE FINCH, SPOTTED TOWHEE, DARK-EYED JUNCO, AMERICAN ROBIN, and heard VARIED THRUSH.

At Dave Mackie County Park we saw lots of AMERICAN WIGEON, MALLARD, SURF SCOTER, NORTHERN PINTAIL, KILLDEER, HORNED GREBE, COMMON and PACIFIC LOONs, COMMON MURRE, RED-BREASTED MERGANSER, BRANT, and on a tree-top on the ridge behind a MERLIN. In addition, out in the southern end of Useless Bay there were at least 8 or 9 Harbor Porpoise.

At the Ewing Road wetlands we saw MALLARD, AMERICAN WIGEON, NORTHERN PINTAIL, NORTHERN SHOVELER, GADWALL (many), GREEN-WINGED TEAL, RING-NECKED DUCK, HOODED MERGANSER, PIED-BILLED GREBE, AMERICAN COOT, RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH, HOUSE FINCH, GREAT BLUE HERON, CANADA GOOSE, and heard VIRGINIA RAIL.

Deer Lagoon had large flocks of GREEN-WINGED TEAL and AMERICAN WIGEON, and in with them were two EURASIAN WIGEON. We added RING-BILLED GULL, BALD EAGLE. At the Lincoln Ave access we saw BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER (a couple of hundred), DUNLIN (probably a couple of hundred), MEW GULL, COMMON LOON, HORNED GREBE, WESTERN GREBE.

Holmes Harbor in Freeland had more GLAUCOUS-WINGED GULLs, G-W/WESTERN gull hybrids, HORNED GREBE, BUFFLEHEAD and COMMON GOLDENEYE. Up at Bush Point we saw several WHITE-WINGED SCOTERs and COMMON LOON. We had good sunshine for much of the rest of the day.

Crockett Lake had 2 RED-TAILED HAWKs on telephone poles, a male NORTHERN HARRIER and a juvenile, the ponds near Crockett had GREATER and LESSER SCAUP, BUFFLEHEAD and RED-BREASTED MERGANSER. Nearer to the ferry terminal the lake was loaded with several NORTHERN PINTAIL, AMERICAN WIGEON, MALLARD, BUFFLEHEAD. At the ferry terminal we saw HARLEQUIN DUCK. Up in Fort Casey SP, we saw PACIFIC WREN. On a return pass by Crockett Lake we saw 3 TRUMPETER SWANs.

Scattered around we saw an Accipiter (probably a Cooper's Hawk), HEERMANN'S GULL, ROCK PIGEON, ANNA'S HUMMINGBIRD, BELTED KINGFISHER, DOWNY WOODPECKER, NORTHERN FLICKER, BLACK-CAPPED CHICKADEE, MARSH WREN, EUROPEAN STARLING, RED-WINGED BLACKBIRD, and HOUSE SPARROW.

It was a "good day" with great companions and nice weather. We wound up seeing and hearing 74 species.

Brian H. Bell
Woodinville WA
mail to bell asoc at iso media dot com