[Tweeters] A Squirrel Suprises

Dennis Paulson dennispaulson at comcast.net
Sun Nov 10 15:41:17 PST 2013

Jeff,

I hear squirrels in my yard regularly. They make a "chuff" sound and a raucous descending squealing sound as alarm calls. Sometimes they also squeak when they chase each other around the yard, but I have heard the alarm calls many times over the years. Certainly not daily. Maybe squirrels aren't alarmed by you, although they should be by ol' Max (unless ol' Max is a goldfish).

Try this for a sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b-2TFrx3fg

Dennis

On Nov 10, 2013, at 12:01 PM, tweeters-request at mailman1.u.washington.edu wrote:

> Message: 18

> Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2013 11:34:59 -0800

> From: jeff gibson <gibsondesign at msn.com>

> Subject: [Tweeters] A Squirrel Suprises

> To: tweeters <tweeters at u.washington.edu>

> Just got home from walking the dog around our nice North Everett neighborhood, after having had a new life experience! I heard a Grey Squirrel!

> While our native Washington state "conifer squirrels", Douglas and Red, are famously noisy, I've never heard so much as a peep out of an Eastern Grey Squirrel. And I've seen thousands of them. Visiting New Mexico a few years ago, I was surprised to hear the local Arizona Grey Squirrels make a loud 'chuffing' noise. " Gee", I thought " our Grey Squirrels at home are quiet as a fire hydrant !".

> And they have been, in my Eastern Grey Squirrel experience, which spans more than fifty years of city livin' here in the Puget Sound area. Until today that is.

> Walking ol' Max up the sidewalk, I heard an unusual bird call coming from a nearby street tree, a loud call that I couldn't quite place. "Scrub Jay?", I thought, but that didn't quite fit. " A young Crow?", sorta like, but wrong season. Definitely some sort of corvid, I thought, but then all sorts of strange, loud clucking sounds started coming out of the same plum tree, interspersed with the corvid -like calls. " What in the world is this bird?", I really was wondering.

> Well, it was just a regular ol' city Grey Squirrel making a ton of noise! I was flabbergasted. Maybe all you "squirrel whisperer's" hear this all the time, but for me this was a first. Missing something like this for more than fifty years is sort of miraculous, maybe?.

> Jeff Gibson,

> Everett Wa

-----
Dennis Paulson