[Tweeters] Surfbirds continue @ Duwamish Head (Alki)

Joe Sweeney sweeneyfit at mac.com
Sat Nov 9 21:43:28 PST 2013

The surfbirds and turnstones, reported on Friday by Bruce Jones, showed up again on Saturday, 11/9/13, on the rocks at Duwamish Head, at the very small park (not much more than a viewing platform over the water) known as Anchor Park (look for the large anchor along Alki Ave SW).

I arrived during high tide in the morning, but the surfbirds' food source was underwater, so the birds were not present (although one time they did a quick and noisy fly by).

So I left for a couple hours, and when I returned at about 1:20pm, the tide was on its way out, the marine organism-covered rocks were now exposed, and about 60 SURFBIRDS and at least 10 BLACK TURNSTONES were noisily feeding on those rocks. They were remarkably tame, focusing on feeding and unconcerned about nearby humans.

They were still there at 2:20pm when I left.

Joe Sweeney
NE Seattle
sweeneyfit at mac dot com