[Tweeters] Quick check on November Birds in the Stillaguamish - 11/6/13

Barbara Deihl barbdeihl at comcast.net
Thu Nov 7 23:46:55 PST 2013

2 -6 p.m.

From Norman to Boe to Thomle to Eide and Pioneer Highway, there were more good bird moments than my photos show.
Highlights of this first trip north this season were:
1. a relaxing drive 2. 3 hrs. of gray light 3. no rain 4. a few raptors 5. 2 swans flying overhead on Marine Dr. 6. thousands of Snow Geese heading to the bay, skeins intertwined 7. no crowds. 8. hunters were successfully keeping the real geese (as opposed to the dozens of decoys) on the safe side of Boe Rd. 9. one pheasant escaped a hunters gun when his dog flushed it out of a ditch after-hours at the Eide Rd. parking area 10. truck carrying bales of hay didn't shove me in the ditch on Boe Rd.: and 11. Good talk and 20's jazz on NPR the whole time.
Photographed birds: Bald Eagles, Thomle Kestrel (watched another on Norman Rd.), dozens of Eurasian Collared Doves (mostly along Norman Rd.) 1 Redtailed Hawk on Thomle Rd. (of about a dozen seen from Marysville north)
Next time maybe I'll get out of the car more than just to go into a Starbuck's and a Taco del Mar. Maybe I'll see an owl of some kind then, too. Oh well - a nice change of scene and breath of fresh air...

Here's a link to the photos I managed through the car windows - used Panasonic Lumix LF1 and FZ70, but haven't had much practice with them yet...

http://flic.kr/s/aHsjM6SG8D

Next time - sun and a Bubo or Asio? :-)

Barb Deihl

North Matthews Beach - NE Seattle