[Tweeters] Red tail hawk question

Dawn Bailey dawnsdog at rainierconnect.com
Thu Nov 7 14:33:56 PST 2013

Hi Tweeters,

I have a local huge female Red-tailed Hawk living in our area, she is often accompanied by a small mature male. She is not afraid of people and often sits in the trees in our yard while we are out doing chores.
I saw her eating a fresh road kill opossum last week, she ate on it for three days. I checked the carcass and there was literally nothing left but some skin and a tail. Then today I watched her fly off with the little that was left of it.
So my question is this common for red tails to eat carrion? I have seen one eat carrion a few winters ago in the frozen snow.
She does not have any leg or wing tags.

Thank you in advance

Dawn Bailey
Eatonville, WA