[Tweeters] Marymoor Park (Redmond, King Co., WA) 2013-11-07

Michael Hobbs birdmarymoor at frontier.com
Thu Nov 7 14:15:41 PST 2013

Tweets – we certainly didn’t dodge the wind and rain this morning. We got pretty much soaked, and there was one tremendous squall with towering black clouds and gusty winds and a downpour. This was no mizzle. We did have about an hour of time scattered through the morning when it didn’t rain, but the rest of the time it was decidedly wet. And dark. And windy. We did see some birds however.

Highlights:

Scaup sp.(p.?) First of Fall; definite Greater, maybe Lesser, at lake
Hooded Merganser A dozen at the Rowing Club pond, all flirting
Cooper’s Hawk VERY wet adult landed at S. end of Dog Meadow
Mew Gull First big flock of fall (150+)
Northern Shrike Very brown juvenile seen late
HORNED LARK Brian found one ~7 a.m. in NE corner of park.
SPIZELLA SPARROW Viewing Mound
White-crowned Sparrow Two, after 2 week absence
Western Meadowlark 1 glimpsed near Compost Piles

I got about a 2 second look at a SPIZELLA SPARROW at the Viewing Mound. In my brief look, I’d say probably CLAY-COLORED or AMERICAN TREE SPARROW. We were unable to relocate it. After our Rowing Club visit, the rain had let up, so I went back to the Viewing Mound and Compost Piles and tried again. May have glimpsed it again, but I can’t be sure that time. My attempts to find it were hampered by the presence of a very curious, very brown-colored juvenile NORTHERN SHRIKE.

For the day, we managed 53+ species. Not bad, considering the weather. The HORNED LARK was new for the year.

== Michael Hobbs
== www.marymoor.org/birding.htm
== BirdMarymoor at frontier.com