[Tweeters] Barn Swallows, Common Yellowthroat

Mike & MerryLynn m.denny at charter.net
Mon Nov 4 18:31:38 PST 2013

Hello all from MerryLynn,
Couldn't resist heading to the river this morning, sunshine, calm, lots of mud and not too many hunters. At the Walla Walla River delta were 17 BONAPARTE'S GULLS, and as I was at the edge scoping - a very late COMMON YELLOWTHROAT popped thru the bullrushes 10 ft. from me, flitted around and called a few times - nice surprise! Adult female fall plumage.

At 2Rivers were 2 male and 1 female WHITE-WINGED and 2 SURF SCOTERS, 7 RED-BREASTED MERGANSERS, 26 TUNDRA SWAN and a singing Townsend's Solitaire - don't see them out there too often. Sunshine kept the birds singing - the Meadowlarks and wrens were especially noisy today - many Marsh Wrens.

Driving down into Penninsula HMU I couldn't believe my eyes as 2 BARN SWALLOWS flew around over my head and landed on the lines. Later saw probably the same two birds flycatching out over the shallows. First of winter Bald Eagles showed up here - 3 adults. Out near Foundation Island were many Pelicans, 14 Tundra Swans and 3 GREAT EGRETS.

Casey pond area held 2 Hooded Mergansers plus the usual stuff. Could not find ANY Eurasian Wigeon today.

Because I now eBird I spend too much time counting birds and not enough time birding! Was looking for Swamp, Tree or Harris's Sparrow but no luck.

Later, ML