[Tweeters] LHG-Bellevue -- Long-tailed Duck, Phantom Lake

Pterodroma at aol.com Pterodroma at aol.com
Mon Nov 4 13:31:51 PST 2013

The hits keep coming in Bellevue's Lake Hills Greenbelt. Today's
highlight, a winter female LONG-TAILED DUCK (aka: "Oldsquaw") in the west end of
Phantom Lake, ~40 meters off the end of the observation deck at 1015hrs, and
again two hours later (1215hrs) a bit further out sleeping along the outer
edge of the lily pads about 2/3 the distance from the west end observation
deck to the first private dock on the north shore. This duck seems to be a
loner despite the usual winter divers scattered about (GRSC, RNDU, BUFF).
A first record to the LHG park list, chances are this visitation may be
just a one-day wonder since this little inland fresh water lake is well out
of the specie's more usual marine water environment.

Another first record for the LHG yesterday (Su 11/03) were four flyover
PACIFIC LOONS moderately high over Larsen Lake flying to the ESE in the
direction of the south end of Lake Sammamish. However, my impression about
those guys was that they looked like migrants and probably on a mission focused
on just going south.

Look out Marymoor, I'm hot on your tail. Only a hun'erd or so more to go

:-))

Richard Rowlett
Bellevue (Eastgate), WA