[Tweeters] No luck on Skagit rarities

Gary Bletsch garybletsch at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 2 17:16:57 PDT 2013

Dear Tweeters,

Today (2 November 2013) I tried for the third time in four days to relocate the Iceland Gull that Ryan Merrill saw a few days ago. There were lots of gulls, but no Iceland. At Howard Miller Steelhead Park was a Bonaparte's Gull, though, plus a Herring Gull and a Ruffed Grouse, among quite a few other birds. The grouse was very close to the parking lot by the old cabin exhibit; I thought for a moment that it was a chicken!

A flock of 165 Cackling Geese flew westwards in the afternoon, between Lyman and Hamilton.

Down at the Padilla Bay Trail, I tried to follow up on a report of a Yellow-billed Loon that had come via eBird. Not only did I not find that bird, I felt like I was going to be blown into the bay--or washed into it, whichever the storm chose to do.

Yours truly,

Gary Bletsch