[Tweeters] a few birds

Joseph Higbee jvhigbee at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 2 13:52:19 PDT 2013

Yesterday a friend and I went to Whidbey Is. in the hope of getting a shot of Olympics through the clouds. Didn’t happen! So following the principle of ‘whatever else you are or aren’t doing, BIRD’ I grabbed the SX50 and looked for birds.

The highlight of the day was a flock of about ten Black Oystercatchers, including about 6 juveniles, that seemed to have no fear as I carefully closed in to about 65 feet and watched and photographed them for several minutes.

Then, on Fir Is., I had similar encounters with a couple of Pectoral Sandpipers and again with a Short-billed Dowitcher. Even the Northern Harrier and the Belted Kingfisher seemed less wary than usual. I probably could have shaken claws with the GB Heron but didn’t.

Another gray day in the land of................... (fill in the blank to suit)

http://www.pbase.com/jvhigbee/001_current

Joseph Higbee
Spanaway, WA
Mailto: jvhigbee at hotmail.com