[Tweeters] The Albedo Birders, part one.

jeff gibson gibsondesign at msn.com
Sat Nov 2 13:31:59 PDT 2013

I was writing an article for "Profiling in Nature!" magazine in Everett, when I heard rumors about a mysterious birding group called The Albedo Birders.

After a tip from an old Anchor Pub customer, I met with Jeff Bob White, a member of O.W.L., for an interview. My first question to Jeff Bob was what O.W.L. stood for.

"Well", he said, "that would stand for Old White Listers. 'Wev'e been listing you since 1892' - that's our motto. O.W.L. started as a bunch of early white birding pioneers on the Pacific Northwest coast".

Jeff Bob pulled out a book and handed it over. " Here's a copy of our book, published last year by The Daughters of OWL: "A Dark Coast: an exploration of the Dusky Races of the Northwest, by early white birders". It's all about all those dark bird types we got around here. Early explorers were amazed at the dark birds we got around here - those dark races of Song Sparrows, and all sorts of other birds.".

"Thanks, I'll read it", I said "but what I'm really here for, is to ask you about The Albedo Birders. What can you tell me about them?"

Jeff Bob sighed deeply and looked out the window at the Everett noon gloom of November. "Well that's a fair question I guess, since our group started it, sort of. It's all out on it's own now though."

"It's sort of a long story, but basically has it's start in research our group pioneered on how coloration affects climate. Oh sure, everybody knows about how climate and habitat affects bird coloration, but with more and more people around, we started noticing a correlation between the color of birders, and climate change."

"Oh, we know this is a sensitive subject - we are mostly white liberals after all- but we did studies on ourselves first. As we all know, not all 'white' people are really completely white, and some do exhibit seasonal color changes - many, birders in particular (since they spend a lot of time outdoors, looking up), get pretty tan. Our group documented how this skin darkening correlated with warmer temperatures. Here, look at these photos I took of myself" Jeff Bob said, as he handed over a pile of pictures. The series of dated photos were head shots of Jeff Bob next to a thermometer.

"See, see!" he exclaimed excitedly, "the darker my skin, the more the temperature goes up! Direct evidence! Color affects climate!"

I was sort of getting a little nervous at this point, kind of looking at the door, if you know what I mean. "Gosh, Jeff Bob" I said, " that's very interesting, but don't you think you might have gotten darker because it was Summer? More sun ? A lot of times it's warmer during the Summer too. Just sayin'."

"Oh no! It's way more than that!" ,(Jeff Bob was almost yelling at this point), " and O.W.L. stepped up to help! We started The Albedo Birders!"

END PART ONE.

stay tuned for Part Two: The Albedo Birders.

In part two, I explain the importance of the movement, and introduce you to The High Albedo!

(Right now I gotta go to the bank, and do some errands, so I'll make up the rest of this story later).

Jeff Gibson

'Profiling in Nature!' magazine

Everett Wa