[Tweeters] Magnuson Park, 1 November 2013

Scott Ramos lsr at ramoslink.info
Fri Nov 1 15:07:57 PDT 2013

A dry Halloween and a wonderful morning following, with mild temperatures, partly sunny skies and no wind. What could be better except for a good collection of birds. No owls this morning but we (Joe, Berl and I) had nice looks at an early Cooper’s Hawk, then tried to spot the screeching Virginia Rail in Frog Pond, to no avail. A Wilson’s Snipe called from the West Meadow.

On the lake, Common Goldeneye (first of fall), Common Merganser, several Greater Scaup and dozens of Bufflehead. In the ponds, Hooded Merganser, Ring-necked Duck (FOF), American Wigeon and Northern Shoveler. Also, at Pontiac Bay, were several Western and Horned Grebes, plus a FOF Common Loon.

On the swim platform were nearly a hundred Mew Gulls, plus a handful each of California, Ring-billed and Glaucous-winged, and a Herring Gull standing beside the GWGU, allowing good comparisons. Surprising were the low numbers of coots (2) and geese (9), all Canadas.

Golden-crowned Kinglets actually outnumbered Ruby-crowned (at least they were low enough that we could see that many). A few of both Myrtle and Audubon’s Yellow-rumped Warblers were on Promontory Point, foraging with a very bright Townsend’s Warbler female. A Purple Finch was singing by the North Lagoon.

For the day, 59 species.
Checklist: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S15540354
Scott Ramos
Seattle