[Tweeters] Wenas Campout Report and Pictures

Doug Schurman doug at bodyresults.com
Wed May 29 21:55:11 PDT 2013

This last weekend was the 50th Anniversary Wenas Campout.

My wife, daughter and I attended and a great time was had by all. A lot of
volunteer work went into preparing and running the campout. I went on
several of the field trips offered. My wife and daughter really enjoyed the
Nature Journaling offered by Carleen Zimmerman. Neil Zimmerman led an Owl
prowl that I went on and we heard a couple Flammulated Owls and many Common
Poorwills. Michael Hobbs led a couple longer hikes and several other people
led outings.

Teresa Lorenz of Fish & Wildlife led a walk to 2 nest sites for White-headed
Woodpeckers. The WHWO have been studied in the area for several years and a
lot has been learned. We got to see one male on this walk.

I think the family favorite was the checking the Bluebird nesting boxes.
There are about 120 Bluebird Nesting boxes along the Wenas road bluebird
trail. They are checked weekly by volunteers. During the campout weekend the
route is monitored by volunteers at the camp. My wife, daughter and I got to
check on 17 boxes. We noted about 36 Western bluebird chicks along with a
bunch of unhatched eggs. At each nest box we recorded the current status,
what species was using it, number of eggs, development of chicks, etc. We
actually wished we could have checked on more.

Each evening the whole camp gathered together to share stories, discuss the
birds seen, learn about the history of the area and remembered the past.
Doris Johnson did an outstanding job MC'ing each night.

I believe there were about 112 bird species seen in the Wenas area during
the weekend. I saw about 75 (more than half of those right around the camp)
and had 3 life birds.

Some pretty good photo opportunities came up and I had some shots that I
thought were worth sharing.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/seattlebirdman/sets/72157633799726919/

If you're interested in learning more about the annual campout go to

http://www.wenasaudubon.org/

A big thanks to all the people that helped to make this such a successful
campout.

Doug Schurman

NE Seattle