[Tweeters] Black Tern Photos - Juanita Bay Park

Mick Thompson mthomp1707 at comcast.net
Wed May 29 15:08:17 PDT 2013

Hi Everyone,

I too had a chance to get to Juanita Bay Park in Kirkland today (5/29/13) to see the Black Tern. I have heard that it is the first recording of one in King County, similar to the Bewick's Swan we saw there last winter.

Here are a couple of links to some photos...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mickthompson/8883619066/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mickthompson/8882742729/

There were lots of baby birds there today including Mallard Ducklings, Red-winged Blackbird chicks actively being fed by their parents, as well as a pair of Virginia Rails with two little black puff ball chicks. I saw these rails off of the first dock you come to on the west board walk. As you're walking towards the lake, the rails were on the right.

Mick Thompson
Woodinville, WA
mthomp1707 at comcast.net