[Tweeters] Regarding the Douglas fir disease

pennyb at windermere.com pennyb at windermere.com
Tue May 28 12:44:38 PDT 2013

The Douglas Fir disease that Dennis and Denis both mentioned where the trees
turn brown may be Swiss Needle Cast which is a fungus. Sounds like, of
course, the tree farm monocultures are spreading it rapidly. Here's a link
to an article. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/04/100405152557.htm

There are treatments but they would really only be appropriate on small
young backyard trees as they involve spraying. I have not had any questions
in town at our Master Gardener clinics yet so I don't think backyard
gardeners need to worry.

Penny Bolton