[Tweeters] OT: Radioactive waste at Magnuson Park

Connie Sidles constancesidles at gmail.com
Mon May 27 04:09:24 PDT 2013

Hey tweets, I just got a notice from Heart of America Northwest (and Rep. Gerry Pollet) that radioactive waste was discovered at Magnuson Park in the buildings and soils around Arena Sports, Magnuson Athletic Club, and Building 2. It was left over by the Navy and never cleaned up. The Navy is now proposing to clean it up, but not in a way that would meet state standards.

There will be a public meeting about this on Wednesday, May 29 at The Mountaineers (7700 Sand Point Way NE - enter main park entrance, take immediate left) at 7 p.m. Rep. Gerry Pollet will be there. An Open House with the Navy, Seattle Parks, and Washington Ecology begins at 5 p.m.

Magnuson Park is not my bailiwick, but I know a lot of people bird there. It might be wise to find out the scope of the problem and if there are birding areas people should avoid until this gets solved. - Connie, Seattle

constancesidles at gmail.com
www.constancypress.com