[Tweeters] Laser pen light?

Teresa Michelsen teresa at avocetconsulting.com
Fri May 24 22:20:23 PDT 2013

Most guides seem to use them in central America, is my experience. It’s not to see the bird better, it’s to help others in your party find the bird in the dense jungle, which can be very difficult for many people not used to birding in the jungle. At least with our guides, a green laser penlight was used, and it was never shone directly on the bird, but rather on a nearby trunk or a branch, from which the guide gave directions as to where the bird could be found relative to the small dot of light. When used this circumspectly, I can’t imagine it causing more distress than the glare or flash off of optics on binoculars, scopes, or cameras pointed at the bird, far less in fact. I certainly didn’t notice any such effect – again, stressing when used carefully and circumspectly.

Teresa Michelsen

Olympia WA