[Tweeters] Edmonds Roundup

Carol Riddell cariddellwa at gmail.com
Tue May 21 21:43:00 PDT 2013

Warblers passing through Edmonds seems to have slowed down but we are
still steadily noting new spring arrivals. The best find of the last
couple of weeks was a SAGE THRASHER on the afternoon of May 15th. It
stayed around for a few hours and five birders were able to see it. We
did not post it at the time because it was not in a public area. The
Sage Thrasher replaces the Common Nighthawk as our best bird of the
year because it is new to the Edmonds checklist. This evening I
spotted a HEERMANN'S GULL on a log floating in the dive park north of
the ferry dock. There were very few gulls of any species to be seen
this evening so this Edmonds FOY gull was a welcome sight. Other
arrivals have included Swainson's Thrush, Western Wood Pewee, Olive-
sided Flycatcher, and Black-headed Grosbeak. Shorebird species have
been less numerous this year than last and numbers have diminished
greatly. However, we have been seeing a couple of SPOTTED SANDPIPERS
in the vicinity of the marsh. Other than that, ducklings and goslings
are out and about with their parents. It's always fun to watch the
little ones as they skit across the surface of the water with robust
energy. We are up to 144 species for the year.

Carol Riddell
Edmonds