[Tweeters] Bank Swallows....hmmm; Elk Yes

Hank Karen karenhank at yahoo.com
Mon May 20 22:01:33 PDT 2013

Today Karen and I trekked out to the Snoqualmie River from Stillwater in an attempt to ID some Bank Swallows.  Unless our photos reveal something, we were not able to ID any, which is not to say that they weren't there.  There were many swallows flying about and going in and out of the holes in the river bank.  However, we did see a Lazuli Bunting, an American Bittern plus many other birds and a gathering of beautiful red butterflies.  If anyone would be so kind as to ID these butterflies, we would appreciate it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ljcouple/8760611819/

Most exciting of all was seeing an elk running downstream through the shallows of the Snoqualmie River, fortunately on the bank opposite ours.  I tried to get a video, but the elk disappeared into the brush before I could locate it on my viewfinder.  We had no idea that elk were present north of Carnation.  It appeared that the elk was fleeing, but we saw nothing in pursuit.

Hank Heiberg
Lake Joy
Carnation, WA
karenhankatyahoodotcom