[Tweeters] New yard bird: Kestrels

Byers byers345 at comcast.net
Sun May 19 17:52:34 PDT 2013

Hi Tweeters,

Today I was out picking a few flowers for a bouquet when I
heard an excited bird racket overhead. I had my hands full of roses, but
Bill was able to grab his bins and have a closer look at two small falcons
circling quite a ways up over our house. The main field mark he observed,
apart from their general "falcon-ness," was a light tail with a black stripe
at the tip. The tops of the birds when they wheeled, were light.
Recordings of the Kestrel also sound like what I heard. I know sightings of
Kestrel in Seattle are not terribly rare, but they're the first we've seen.
Charlotte Byers, Seattle