[Tweeters] Birds and Golf Courses

Kelly Cassidy lostriver at completebbs.com
Sun May 19 11:26:52 PDT 2013

I've never played golf, but (weirdly) have enjoyed watching golf on TV ever
since we got a hi-def TV. (I have no idea how anyone could enjoy watching
TV golf in pre-hi-def days.)

Birds on golf courses are amazingly tolerant of the big crowds of people.
Even when Tiger Woods is in the lead on a Sunday, with the accompanying
circus of thousands of onlookers, the birds are remarkably calm. I wonder
if those herons stalking fish near a putting green ever wonder why those
strange humans have their sporadic and unpredictable migrations to golf
courses.

I can't be the only one who mentally ranks golf courses by the quality of
the habitat outside the fairways and greens and along the edges of the water
hazards. Can't stand to see those golf courses with the water lined with
vertical man-made walls or the grass mowed the edge of the water.

Just wish those cameramen would spend a little more time zooming in on some
of the birds. They seem so compelled to focus on the golf ball all the
time. I don't get it.

Kelly Cassidy