[Tweeters] Lazuli Buntings in my yard by the arboretum

Kathy Hartman kathartman at yahoo.com
Sat May 18 07:42:13 PDT 2013

I live right at the southern tip of the arboretum/golf course. Got home from work yesterday afternoon, glanced at my feeders, and saw something pretty out of the ordinary. Grabbed my binoculars and was very surprised and excited to see a pair of Lazuli Buntings feeding. I'm not positive about this but I *think* that's somewhat unusual right in the heart of Seattle.

I called my dad to tell him about it, and while we were talking I saw a Western Tanager sitting up in a tree (possibly a pair, was hard to see). Another first for my yard. Then, I noticed a couple of Red Crossbills up there, too!

Along with the Red-Breasted Nuthatches, Goldfinches, Siskins, Chickadees, Wilson's Warblers, my resident California Quail, etc. etc., it was a pretty lovely afternoon.

Oh, and it was my birthday yesterday. Lucky day, nice gifts. :)

Kathy Hartman
Seattle, WA