[Tweeters] JBLM (Lewis) 5-11-2013 - Lazuli Buntings; Western Wood-pewee; 6 swallows+

Denis DeSilvis avnacrs4birds at outlook.com
Sun May 12 19:34:43 PDT 2013

Tweeters,

Six friends from Seattle Audubon and I visited JBLM (Lewis) and environs
Saturday and scored big with several species of the 69 we spotted (some
heard only). Highlights include the following:

- Two male LAZULI BUNTINGS - both in the same small Douglas-fir at
observation post (OP) 8. This is where we had a male on territory last year.

- One male ANNA'S HUMMINGBIRD - also at OP8 - in the same spot one
was there last year.

- FOY WESTERN WOOD-PEWEE heard near Story Road.

- BARN, TREE, VIOLET-GREEN, CLIFF, and NORTHERN ROUGH-WINGED
SWALLOWS, and PURPLE MARTIN spotted during our travels.

In addition, we had outstanding views of WESTERN TANAGER; YELLOW,
ORANGE-CROWNED, and MACGILLIVRAY'S WARBLERS; CASSIN'S VIREO; and
BLACK-HEADED GROSBEAK.

Our route was almost the same as that for last week (along the 91st Division
Prairie; training areas 4 and 5; Muck Creek Bridge; Brandenburg Marsh;
Chambers Lake; and my home in Roy), but we added a side trip to Lewis Lake
on JBLM to get OSPREY on the nesting platform.

Our complete list is below. However, later that evening, I added a FOY
SWAINSON'S THRUSH and several pair of CALIFORNIA QUAIL at my home in Roy.
(Thanks to Paul and Barbara Webster for keeping track of our finds for this
trip.)

Wood Duck

Mallard

Bufflehead