[Tweeters] Barred Owl with OCD?

Pterodroma at aol.com Pterodroma at aol.com
Sun May 12 04:23:05 PDT 2013

I've been hearing this most amazing Barred Owl in my Bellevue-Eastgate
'hood that must be suffering from a severe case of obsessive-compulsive
disorder (OCD). It sounds like it's over in the Eastgate Park area, 3-4 blocks
to the W, west of 150th SE and north of Newport Way. This bird started
hooting off and on in January and off and on into February. February 20, the
OCD started with a tireless vengeance and hasn't stopped one single night
since, all night time hours are fair game, early evening, midnight, early
morning, but at least it's quiet through the day. Weather doesn't matter
either; it can be a proverbial perfect owl night, moon or no moon, clear, calm,
and frosty cold to Spring/summer like warmth (like now), to the most
rotten imaginable, screaming windy, pouring rain, snow, typical winter drizzly,
this owl hoots regardless. So here we are now, going into mid-May, and I'm
up as usual, 3-4am, and as usual, coffee in hand waking up on the back
porch, the first thing I hear, like every single morning since late February,
that Barred Owl. I'm not complaining; it just seems so odd for a Barred
Owl (or any owl) to be so vocally active and so persistent for so long. My
past history with Barred Owls and especially the Eastgate neighborhood ones,
is one or two might be intensely vocal for up to a week or two, especially
late winter, and some random unexpected other times during the year, then
nothing at all for months and months. So, what's up with this guy
anyway?!? OCD? Should I call for a medic?

Richard Rowlett
Bellevue (Eastgate), WA