[Tweeters] Golden-crowned Sparrow plague - post script

Pterodroma at aol.com Pterodroma at aol.com
Fri May 10 02:05:56 PDT 2013

It was like the proverbial plague of locusts; only Golden-crowned
Sparrows! Okay, so maybe "plague" is overstating it a bit, ...mini-plague maybe.
Just as I expected (predicted), 20 minutes AFTER posting the tweeters note
at 8pm Tu May 7, by 8:20 pm and right about actual sunset (8:29pm), poof!,
ALL 24 + 1 White-crowned Sparrow that had swarmed in during the afternoon
to 'destroy' the newly over-seeded & dressed small lawn patch, were gone.
Next morning, Wednesday, ZERO. Lake Hills Greenbelt Wednesday morning,
ZERO, ... there had been 50+ GCSPs scattered all over that place the day
before, Tuesday, when there had been NONE at all in the few preceding days.
Wednesday afternoon and back in the yard disaster ("red") zone, three GCSPs
returned and remained to sunset, and Thursday there were two all day. The
new lawn patch is a total disaster! So much dirt scratched and kicked out
covering the walk, I can't even see parts of it anymore! This looks like a
situation for FEMA and maybe qualifying for Federal Disaster Relief, I
wonder if FEMA has ever handled a claim involving Golden-crowned Sparrows
before. Locusts/grasshoppers maybe; GCSPs?, ...ummm, probably not. Yeah,
yeah, I know; "good luck with that!" They'll probably tell me to just go get a
broom, ....and a life :-))

Richard Rowlett
Bellevue (Eastgate), WA