[Tweeters] re: Hank's "what is this"?

Dianna Moore dlmoor2 at coastaccess.com
Wed May 8 12:56:34 PDT 2013

Hi Tweets...Hank suggested some might be interested in the outcome of his
weird pine tree photo, in his post of May 6th, "probably off post". It is
called a "Witches Broom".

As a Master Gardener, I was stumped (pun intended) by a weird development
in the top of my California Redwood and asked a fellow Master Gardener if
she knew what was going on. She told me it was called a "Witches Broom",
and caused by several things, environmental and man-made. When I saw Hank's
photo, I could not remember what she called it, or who she was, but finally
remember the word witch somehow was mentioned, and finally remembered who
had told me the story.

A short search online found more photos and better explanations of the
causes. I found a decent set of photos and explanation on Wikipedia.

Dianna Moore
Ocean Shores