[Tweeters] Monroe Prison Farm - Ponds: Location Information

Josh Adams xjoshx at gmail.com
Mon May 6 17:56:32 PDT 2013

Hello Tweets,
It occurred to me on my drive home this evening that there might be many
people wanting to see the Ross's Goose who wouldn't be familiar with the
location and might confuse it with ponds located near the Monroe Prison.
The ponds in question are actually located on the previous site of the
Monroe Prison Farm, rather than being "farm ponds" located near the better
known Monroe Prison, if that makes sense. My understanding is that the site
was previously a farm worked by low security prisoners, but as John Tubbs
stated in his earlier post the state sold it years ago. Up until recently
there were still signs all around warning you to not pick up hitchhikers in
the area.

The ponds are located just north of 203rd St SE immediately west of HWY 203
AKA Monroe-Duvall Road.
There are a large number of ways to get there, depending on which way you
are coming from. My recommendation is to pop these coordinates into you
favorite online map tool and generate directions from where you're coming
from: 47.8134211,-121.9861901

There is a small pullout with a concrete slap directly in front of the
ponds. As stated before, please don't block the road and stay on the slab.
The area is very birdy with tons of Eurasian Collared Doves, 5 types of
Swallows, very audible Sora and a Starling who does a great impression of a
Western Wood-Pewee I've ever heard. I've also seen Ring-Necked Pheasant,
Western Kingbird, and Bullocks Oriole nearby so keep your eyes open.

Good luck,

Josh Adams
Lynnwood, WA
http://www.flickr.com/photos/beastofexmoor/