[Tweeters] Kent - 204th and 200th - Semi-P Plover, etc.

Carol & Lynn Schulz carol.schulz50 at gmail.com
Mon May 6 09:54:46 PDT 2013

Hi Folks:
Sorry I'm so late sending this short note.
Yesterday morning, Sun, May 5 from 8:30-9:30am, in north Kent, there were two good birds at the big pond (now pretty small) that is south of 204th. Viewing from the mailboxes I saw a Black-bellied Plover moving slowly and then perching quietly in the small amt of water just to the south of 204th. While I stood quietly a Lesser Yellowlegs appeared fairly close to 204th. I got about a one-minute view.
A fairly new birder named Paul showed up and we viewed and walked on 204th. We re-located the Lesser Yellowlegs. It was farther south in the big pond area, maybe 300 to 400 ft south of 204th. We also so 6 Amer. Pipits very close on the south side of 204th. They were on mud and dead grass. In the ponds to the north of 204th in the bushes we saw two male Cinnamon Teal.
Grace and Ollie showed up, and said they had not relocated the male Blue-wngd. Teal at Boeing Ponds. But they had found a Semi-palmed Plover over in the "Black-nkd. Stilt" puddle by 200th. That little puddle had Black-necked Stilts seen by Doug Schurman early on May 2. The stilts probably moved on fairly quickly that day. As we three stood on 204th yesterday, we could hear one and maybe two calling Sora on the east edge of the ponds north of 204th.
I was able to see the Semi-palmed Plover in the BN Stilt puddle later in the morning. (But not any stilts, darn it.) To view the rapidly drying up puddle, come down S 200th St from the light on Orillia. Turn north at So. Ctr. Parkway. Travel about 1 block past ponds on the left. There are pullouts on both the west and east side of the parkway. The BN Stilt puddle is on the east side of the parkway, close to the road. The plover was staying slightly separate from the 15 Least Sandpipers at the puddle.
Yours, Carol Schulz
Des Moines