[Tweeters] JBLM (Lewis) 5-4-2013 Warblers, Olive-sided Flycatcher+

Denis DeSilvis avnacrs4birds at outlook.com
Sat May 4 18:59:46 PDT 2013

Tweeters,

Yet another gorgeous day around the prairies of JBLM (Lewis), with newly
arrived warblers, swallows, etc. Highlights include FOY OLIVE-SIDED
FLYCATCHER; BLACK-HEADED GROSBEAK; N. ROUGH-WINGED SWALLOW; and WILSON'S,
YELLOW, and MACGILLIVRAY'S WARBLERS, the latter also being the
bird-of-the-day with views of a singing male about 8 feet from us, on a bare
branch - stunning! We tallied 53 species, not including the MOURNING DOVES,
BAND-TAILED PIGEONS, and AMERICAN CROWS we found at Avian Acres in Roy.

Today was another first: the Range Control office was closed, but the three
of us on a scouting trip for the forthcoming trip for friends fortunately
had our passes, and headed out to hit Training Areas 4, 5, and Chambers
Lake, with a side-trip to Brandenburg Marsh. Starting at the old Boeing C-5
fuselage, we traveled south, then west along the Range Road, listing
SAVANNAH SPARROW, TREE SWALLOW, COMMON RAVEN, STELLER'S JAY, WESTERN
BLUEBIRD, YELLOW WARBLER (the first of many), SPOTTED TOWHEE, AMERICAN
GOLDFINCH, WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW, AMERICAN ROBIN, BROWN-HEADED COWBIRD, SONG
SPARROW, COMMON YELLOWTHROAT, HOUSE WREN, and European Starling.

We turned north on the Second Division Range Road (hearing a PILEATED
WOODPECKER in the distance), birding the usually productive areas along
Training Area 4 south and west of the ORV parking area, where two
GOLDEN-CROWNED SPARROWS (late in departing) were on the dirt road. After
that we picked up CHIPPING SPARROW, PACIFIC-SLOPE FLYCATCHER,
CHESTNUT-BACKED CHICADEE, PURPLE FINCH, NORTHERN FLICKER, RED CROSSBILL,
RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH, GOLDEN-CROWNED KINGLET, DARK-EYED JUNCO,
MACGILLIVRAY'S WARBLER (first of several), WILSON'S WARBLER, TURKEY VULTURE,
EVENING GROSBEAK, BLACK-HEADED GROSBEAK, and a very vocal, tree-topping
OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHER - the only one of those we heard or saw today.

Nisqually Lake produced distant views of AMERICAN COOT, RING-NECKED DUCK,
CANADA GOOSE, RED-WINGED BLACKBIRD, and PURPLE MARTIN. A KILLDEER was also
here, but the young one we saw later near the Muck Creek bridge was at least
visible. Besides the porta-potties, a side road near Nisqually Lake added
PACIFIC WREN and a very distant RED-TAILED HAWK. Continuing down Story Road
to the west, we tagged RUFOUS HUMMINGBIRD and ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER (the
only singing one of these we found - quite unlike April 24th, when they were
singing everywhere.

Back to Observation Post 8, where we had lunch overlooking the 91st Division
Prairie and with a great view of the mountain and a better view of a
Red-tailed Hawk, we added BEWICK'S WREN. Back on the Range Road heading
south, we picked up BARN SWALLOW. At the Muck Creek bridge, the NORTHERN
ROUGH-WINGED SWALLOWS had arrived, but two that were preening in one shrub
left after a vocalizing MARSH WREN landed nearby and looked as if it was
singing right in the ear of one of the swallows.

The Purple Martins at the next boxes at Brandenburg Marsh had lots of
competition from Tree Swallows. We'll see how they fair this next week. Last
year, the swallows displaced the martins at this site. Chambers Lake was
almost devoid of ducks, with only a single pair of BUFFLEHEADS, a couple of
WOOD DUCKS, and a MALLARD visible. Could be the patrolling adult BALD EAGLE
and the immature of the same species put the rest off. We did add PINE
SISKIN, CLIFF and VIOLET-GREEN SWALLOWS at this, our last stop before
heading for libations and food at Avian Acres.

Many of the usual suspects were MIA on this trip, including Vaux's Swift,
Western Scrub-jay, Downy Woodpecker (although we heard a woodpecker drumming
in the distance at one spot), Western Meadowlark, and Virginia Rail. Maybe
next week.

May all your birds be identified,

Denis DeSilvis

Roy, WA