[Tweeters] Caspian Terns on the Magnolia Peninsula

David Hutchinson flora.fauna at live.com
Thu May 2 13:35:29 PDT 2013

After last year's failed nesting attempt on the Trident roof, both Ingrid Taylar and I were interested to see what would happen during the 2013 breeding season. After night-time disturbance, probably among other issues, CATEs have apparently left Trident and are no longer to be seen flying or loafing around Smith Cove. They are to be seen though on the roof at NWI along Commodore Way, though in much smaller numbers (20?) than last year. They are also loafing regularly on the South Beach at Discovery Park, during these low tides, but again in small numbers. To-day, while volunteering in the Park, I saw a CATE carrying a small silver fish in the direction of NWI.

So one's surmise is that the bulk of last year's colony have gone elsewhere, probably along the shore of Puget Sound. Further, this small colony is also destined to fail, for a variety of reasons.

--
David Hutchinson, Owner
Flora & Fauna: Nature Books