[Tweeters] Cowlitz Co: Say's Phoebe - Lesser Goldfinch - Egret Rookery

Russ Koppendrayer russkope at gmail.com
Sun Mar 31 17:21:28 PDT 2013

Hi Tweeters,

I got out for a few hours of birding late this afternoon (3/31) and into
the afternoon. Some highlights included a SAY'S PHOEBE foraging from the
fenceline just west of 1747 Guild Road in the Woodaland Bottoms. As I
watched it also used the area close to the barn.

At the mouth of the Kalama River there seemed to be a late smelt run
happening with hundreds of gulls representing 6 common species (MEW,
RING-BILLED, CALIFORNIA, HERRING, THAYERS, & GLAUCOUS-WINGED) in
attendance. They were joined by 33 GREAT EGRETS in the shallows. Swinging
over to Meeker Road on the east side of I-5 and scoping across the freeway
to the heron rookery I counted 28 egrets standing on or near nests and 10
more in Meeker's Pond below me. The Great Egrets seem to join the Great
blue Herons at this rookery for a later start to nesting, but with these
kind of numbers and not being able to see into the wetlands below the
rookery and good habitat immediately across the Columbia near the former
Trojan Nuclear plant there are probably more egrets in the area. It could
be some big nesting numbers this year.

I found a single male LESSER GOLDFINCH along the ow of trees along the
north end of the Mint Farm in west Longview; a spot where they have
occurred each of the last two springs.

A pair of WESTERN BLUEBIRDS were near the nestboxes along Sightly Road just
south of Toutle where they also nested last year.

Russ Koppendrayer
Longview, WA
russkope at gmail dot com