[Tweeters] Purple Finches breeding in Seattle

Stewart Wechsler ecostewart at gmail.com
Sat Mar 30 18:54:01 PDT 2013

After David Hutchinson found Purple Finches singing in Discovery Park and
asked if others are finding them as a breeding bird within the city limits:

I was pleasantly surprised when I started noting the Purple Finches at
Lincoln Park here in West Seattle, maybe 2 or 3 years ago or so. There is
a good group there in some of the prime habitat singing through the
breeding season. It would be easy to miss at the tops of the conifers if
you didn't know their song. I still consider it a relative rarity in the
city, but don't quite know where else in the city they nest. Any more
reports within the city limits?

-Stewart Wechsler
West Seattle, WA
ecostewart at gmail.com