[Tweeters] Eastern Washington again

Byers byers345 at comcast.net
Sat Mar 30 18:50:14 PDT 2013

Hi Tweeters,
Bill and I are back in eastern Washington to celebrate the nice weather. We were in eastern Washington last weekend and were interested to see what new birds would have arrived in the course of a week. At Cle Elum and the Northern Pacific Ponds, the Osprey is back. Among other birds we found there were Red-breasted Nuthatches and Downy Woodpeckers paired up and looking for nesting sites. White-crowned Sparrows and Mountain Chickadees were also on hand. At Vantage at the state park overlook, we found evidence that migration is underway. We saw Yellow-rumped Warblers and a Golden-crowned Kinglet. At Wanapum Dam SP we found a Ruby-crowned Kinglet singing as it flew from tree to tree.
At Martha Lake, near George, we observed Black-necked Stilts and Black-crowned Night-Herons amoung 10-15 other species in this area. At the intersection of Hwy 17 and Hwy 282 (near Ephrata) we were happy to see two Long-billed Curlews both flying around the field to the east of the road and calling. We observed one Redhead and some White-throated Swifts as we motored north along Banks Lake.

Happy birding, Charlotte Byers, Seattle