[Tweeters] Rare Fill day

Connie Sidles constancesidles at gmail.com
Sat Mar 30 13:12:42 PDT 2013

Hey tweets, today was rarely beautiful at the Fill, with wisps of fog
clinging to the grass stems in the early morning, and sunlight making
the dewdrops gleam. A GREATER YELLOWLEGS flew in from somewhere south
to land at Shoveler's Pond and forage briefly. It did not like the
joggers going by, or me stopping to look, so it took off toward
Magnuson Park after a short visit. This was bird #100 for the year.

Savannah Sparrows are abundant now and have begun to sing. Lyrically
they are nothing to write home about, but somehow their song always
sounds lovely to me. I think of it as a song of summer and the promise
fulfilled that yes, indeed, winter has retreated to the Southern
Hemisphere and the north will grow green again.

An ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER was foraging in the native scrub- and
shrubbery at Kern's Restoration Pond. It looked fat and happy. The
light was perfect, allowing me to see its orange crown when it bent
its head over a bug. I almost never get to see this field mark, so I
was thrilled.

But the biggest thrill of the day was the RED-SHOULDERED HAWK that
flew over my head at 10:30 a.m. It came from the southwest, drifted
over me at tree height, found a thermal over Paulson Prairie and
spiraled upward. Its translucent "windows" on the wings were stunning
in the sunlight. After making several circuits in the thermal, it
floated off to the northeast. Maybe it joined the yellowlegs at
Magnuson. It's worth keeping an eye out. This is only the third Red-
shouldered Hawk to be seen at the Fill, as far as my records show.

My morning was made complete by two Red-tailed Hawks interacting with
each other for quite a while over Paulson Prairie. They circled each
other repeatedly and took turns holding their legs down. Is this
courting behavior? - Connie, Seattle

constancesidles at gmail.com
www.constancypress.com