[Tweeters] Marymoor Park (Redmond, King Co., WA) 2013-03-28

Michael Hobbs birdmarymoor at frontier.com
Fri Mar 29 10:50:13 PDT 2013

Tweets – yesterday started with bits of blue sky and a few rays of filtered sunlight poking through a rumpled overcast sky. This, of course, meant that it rained solidly for the first two hours, though thankfully not very hard. By the time we got to the lake platform, the sky cleared pretty much, and the weather was very nice after that. It was a birdy day.

Highlights:

Band-tailed Pigeon Four flew overhead
Eurasian Collared-Dove One in Snag Row
Red-breasted Sapsucker 1 near windmill, 1 at Rowing Club
Pileated Woodpecker Pair east of mansion
Northern Shrike North of fields 7-8-9
Varied Thrush One in Dog Meadow
AMERICAN PIPIT Houston Flores reported 1 in gravel area
Yellow-rumped Warbler Many, mostly Audubon’s, at least 1 Myrtles.
Townsend’s Warbler One east of mansion
White-crowned Sparrow Singing pugetensis bird in Pea Patch
Red Crossbill Good looks north of mansion
HOUSE SPARROW Female at Compost Piles, Snag Row

We’ve only had six previous sightings of EURASIAN COLLARED-DOVE, four of them from last year, with the other two sightings from ‘08 and ‘09. All previous sightings have been from mid-April to late-May, so this was our first March sighting.

This was only our second HOUSE SPARROW sighting since April, 2010. The previous sighting was April 4, 2011.

We did not see any owls despite a lot of pre-dawn looking.

It was also a good day for mammal sightings. Besides the usual squirrel and rabbit sightings, Mark and Lee saw a COYOTE, we had a MUSKRAT along the slough, and there were at least 3 RIVER OTTERS at the lake. Also, PACIFIC TREE FROGS were peeping pre-dawn, and there were both PAINTED TURTLE and RED-EARED SLIDERS at the Rowing Club.

Wednesday late afternoon there was a singing WESTERN MEADOWLARK near the model airplane field.

For the day, 66 species. For the year, EURASIAN COLLARED-DOVE, AMERICAN PIPIT, HOUSE SPARROW were new. OSPREY was reported on Saturday, but we did not see one Thursday.

== Michael Hobbs
== www.marymoor.org/birding.htm
== BirdMarymoor at frontier.com