[Tweeters] Edmonds Marsh Madness Update

Bill Anderson billandersonbic at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 27 00:53:27 PDT 2013

The red crossbills continue to make irregular appearances in the pine trees around Gallaghers and the #2 viewing platform.   Their stays have been shorter, which suggests the pine trees may be running out of "seeds" for them to eat.

One of the snipes made another appearance Tuesday.  It could be seen from viewing platforms #1 & 2.  The snipes don't come out until the water level is just below the bottom of the plants, which has been between 4-5pm this week.  Check the tide tables for high tide.

The herons are attempting to nest in the rookery at the south side of the marsh.  See my previous post for more details.

As long as you are in the neighborhood, check out the fish hatchery, where I have seen a pair of Townsend's warblers the past few days.  Ruby-crowned kinglets have been active there as well.

A pair of yellow-rumped warblers has been hanging out at the retention pond at the end of the Pt. Edwards walkway.  Their fly-catcher type darts off the branches and fence as they hunt for bugs are fun to watch, but difficult to photograph.

Bill Anderson; Edmonds, WA. USA