[Tweeters] Upper Skagit Highlights - 3/18 & 3/25

Ryan Merrill rjm284 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 25 22:12:05 PDT 2013

Today Evan Houston and I birded the Upper Skagit Valley. Our day
started at a chilly 24 degrees at Sauk Prairie, but by the time we
reached Marblemount it was t-shirt weather with a very welcome 62
degrees.

Highlights:

Greater White-fronted Goose - adult continues at Sutter Creek rest area
Golden Eagle - 2 eating a calf at Sauk Prairie, at least one more over
the ridge at Corkindale
Killdeer - 2 Corkindale
Band-tailed Pigeon - 3 in Darrington and another in Marblemount
American Kestrel - Sauk Prairie and Martin Road
Peregrine Falcon - 2 at Martin Road
Say's Phoebe - 1 Marblemount
Northern Shrike - 1 Marblemount
Western Bluebird - male and female at Corkindale - we watched the
female fly high in the air and take off up the valley while the male
stayed behind (a different male than was there last week), there was
another male at the last big field in Marblemount
Mountain Bluebird - 16 Corkindale

How many bluebirds can you fit on a fence line?
www.flickr.com/photos/rjm284/8591829166/

I was also up there last Monday, March 18th. That day started out
with hail, sleet, rain and snow, but after a couple hours it was
mostly dry.

Highlights:

Greater White-fronted Goose - 1 adult continues
Turkey Vulture - 1 Marblemount
Northern Saw-whet Owl - A very suprising bird sitting out in the
middle of an open field! Must have been out of sorts due to the nasty
weather early that morning?

www.flickr.com/photos/rjm284/8572894022/

Rufous Hummingbird - 1 male at Diablo, early for the area
American Kestrel - 1 male at Martin Road
Western Bluebird - 1 male Corkindale with the Mountain Bluebirds
Mountain Bluebird - 10 Corkindale
Western Meadowlark - 10 Corkindale, 8 of which flew off heading down
the river, also one in Diablo
Common Redpoll - 1 Marblemount Boat Launch

Good birding,
Ryan Merrill
Kirkland