[Tweeters] Edmonds Roundup

Carol Riddell cariddellwa at gmail.com
Sat Mar 23 12:26:39 PDT 2013

Hi Tweets,

This morning was chilly but sunny and calm in Edmonds. The Red
Crossbills were feeding in the pine trees at Harbor Square about 8:30.
The Horned Grebes have moved north and can be seen from the Water
Street access north of downtown Edmonds. The Red-necked Grebes
remaining near the public pier are coming into their red necks and
looking dazzling in the morning sun. There are 150+ Brant moving
around from the Shell Creek outlet south to Marina Beach. This morning
we saw seven or more Pacific Loons. From the pier the best birds were
fly-bys of two FOY Long-tailed Ducks (code 3) and one Black Scoter
leading two Surf Scoters. A Brandt's Cormorant was seen and the
Western Gull that has been around off and on for the last couple of
weeks appeared to be on the marina's south breakwater. Its mantle was
dark enough but it wasn't a positive ID at that distance. There were
Rhinoceros Auklets and Pigeon Guillemots but we did not see Common
Murres.

On March 15th four Tree Swallows passed over the Edmonds marsh. The
next morning we saw one swallow but the light was so terrible we could
not determine whether it was a Tree or a Violet-green. We have not
seen any others since then. A drake Ring-necked Duck (code 3) has been
in the large pond on the south side of the marsh several evenings
during the last week. This morning a Common Merganser was there. We've
seen several on the waterfront since the first of the year but this
was the first we've seen in that pond. Killdeer continue to represent
shorebirds in the marsh. We're hoping that changes real soon with some
sightings of Least or Western Sandpipers, but that's probably a couple
of weeks off. We watched a small flock of Golden-crowned Sparrows this
morning that included a tan-striped White-throated Sparrow. I had seen
one at the marsh in early January and then it became elusive. If this
is the same bird, it's had a long run of hiding around the marsh.

One of the most intriguing sightings we have heard of recently was a
report to Pilchuck Audubon of a Black-billed Magpie in downtown
Edmonds on Sunday, March 10th. That would have been between Connie's
sighting at The Fill and Evan Houston's at Discovery Park. I haven't
had a chance to talk with the observer yet. That species is not on the
Edmonds list. We are at 107 species for 2013.

Carol Riddell
Edmonds