[Tweeters] Say's Phoebe at Fill

Connie Sidles constancesidles at gmail.com
Thu Mar 21 12:19:03 PDT 2013

Hey tweets, a Say's Phoebe was busy at the Fill this morning, catching
insects on the fly in Paulson Prairie and the Youth Garden. If it's
the same bird that was seen on Sunday in the field near the
greenhouses, and again on Monday in Hunn Meadow West, it's a bird that
gets around. If you want to see this nutmeg and cinnamon beauty, I
suggest stationing yourself somewhere along Franklin Lane (the gravel
road/trail that goes north off Wahkiakum Lane just west of Leaky Pond)
and waiting. I suspect that sooner or later the phoebe will appear.
It's well worth the wait, believe me!

Also present today: a female Common Goldeneye on Shoveler's Pond (!);
one of the smallest Cackling Geese I ever saw in my life at the Lagoon
(like someone had taken a Canada Goose, stuck it in a copier, and
pressed "Print one Mallard"); 6 Pine Siskins at Kern's Restoration
Pond; a pair of Brewer's Blackbirds at the helipad (these are not
early risers!); and a Merlin over SW Pond. Fox Sparrow are singing
now, way too falsetto for their heft. Cooper's Hawks are circling on
their way north, causing me to start singing "Oklahoma." White-crowned
Sparrows are back and singing - they have been so scarce this year. A
big cyclone of Violet-Green Swallows blows here and there but
generally more on the west side of the Fill. And the American
Goldfinches are turning gold. A lovely day. - Connie, Seattle

constancesidles at gmail.com
www.constancypress.com