[Tweeters] Sage Grouse lek on Leahy Cutoff Road

Tom Mansfield birds at t-mansfield.com
Tue Mar 19 04:59:55 PDT 2013

Dan and Tweets - I was in the area last Saturday and decided to have a look despite it being after 10:30 a.m. As I was coming from Brewster headed east, I took K Road off SR 17 to Leahy Cutoff Road so approached the lek from the west on paved or well-maintained roads. As I reached the plateau on K Road, I was surprised to find a small flock of Snow Buntings (there is no snow up there). And at the lek, on the south side of the road, were 9 striking males strutting their stuff with fanned tails, stamping their feet and calling with 3 coy hens enjoying the show. So, it remains active and I didn't have to be there at dawn. On a less successful note, I tried for the Meredith Spencer's County First Black-Backed Woodpecker at the Packwood Cemetery late Friday afternoon and early Saturday morning but had no luck. If any Tweets are successful with the woodpeckers please post. The last eBird entries are from the time of the WOS Waterville Plateau field trip in February.

Tom Mansfield in Seattle.