[Tweeters] Traveling with Scope - Thank You

Blair Bernson blair at washingtonadvisorygroup.com
Mon Mar 18 09:03:38 PDT 2013

As usual, tweeters is pretty amazing. I have
already had 20+!!! responses. Only three have
actually put scopes in checked luggage (and so far
no losses). The absolute consensus is trust
nobody when it comes to optics and NEVER put
camera, binoculars or cameras in checked luggage.
All put tripods in their checked luggage and the
scope etc in carry on. One person had a problem
trying to take a tripod on carry-on... hassled at
check in. Generally they take perhaps a somewhat
larger than otherwise carry-on (duffel) with
something to pad the scope and have never had a
problem. Depending on type of scope etc, some
carry the eyepiece separately even then and maybe
take the tripod head in carry on as well.

I have traveled to many birding trips
international and domestic and have always been
with a group where someone else had the scope so
it never mattered. This time (South Texas) I am
the designated carrier.Will be taking the scope IN
CARRY-ON!!

Thanks everybody.

--
Blair Bernson